It all started . . .
early in 1947, with a small group of devout Episcopalians determining that a new permanent church was a worthwhile venture in Palatine (the nearest church being St. James’ in Dundee).
On May 23, the name, St. Philip’s was chosen by popular vote and plans were drawn.
On September 21, 1947, 64 parishioners attended the first Confirmation and Eucharist of the St. Philip’s congregation In the Masonic Temple with Bishop Conkling officiating.
May 29, 1948, the groundbreaking ceremony on our corner of Schubert and Wood Streets took place with 122 present, Bishop Conkling presiding.
On September 12, 1948, Fr. Rob Roy Hardin was named first Rector at St. Philip’s, performing the first service in what is now our Foote Library on March 6, 1949. After three weddings in less than two years, his final service was on November 26, 1950.
On March 4, 1951, Fr. M. R. Becker became the second Rector for one year.
On June 1, 1952, Fr. Sheldon B. Foote was installed as Rector who would, with local Architect Charles Klopp and Pepper Construction Company, oversaw the construction of the “new” stone, 180 seat sanctuary and nave. The work was completed late in 1957, with 104 parishioners celebrating our first Christmas.
Fr. Rob Hardin 1948-1950
Fr. Michael Ray Becker 1951-1952
Fr. Sheldon B. Foote 1952-1985
Fr. Dru Green (interim) 1985-1987
Fr. Michael Philips 1987-1995
Fr. Thomas Janiec 1996-2008
Rev. Lisa Graves 2009-2012
Rev. Laura Gottarde-Littell 2013-2015
Fr. Jimmy Swarthout (interim) 2015-2017
Fr. Jim Stanley 2017-
Explore St. Philip’s
Stained Glass window in narthex is created of slab glass, blue radiating from the cross, at the center of which is a chalice and Host, the Eucharistic symbols. The lower window is curious in that the Hand (Father) is on the right instead of being central. According to the artist, the descending Dove (Holy Spirit) unifies the design. The Lamb, of course, represents Christ. The basket and fish represent the Feeding of the 5000, an occasion at which Philip is present and speaks. It is also a Eucharistic symbol, echoing the chalice and Host above.
The dark blue and violet slab glass radiate from the cross in the north wall continue along the side walls and gradually brighten with all the colors of a rainbow to livelier, sunnier, lighter hues as they approach the sanctuary, bathing the altar in shimmering gold light.
The Lady Altar with kneeler and devotional candles is a solemn place for private veneration and intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary, depicted in the framed mosaic.
In 1991, a Mosaic Artist, recommended by the Art Institute of Chicago, was commissioned to design a mosaic pattern on the floor to coordinate with the stained-glass windows and to create a sense of water flowing around the Baptismal Font, the initiation into Christian life. The Font was designed and built by Conrad Schmitt Studios and is a memorial to Thomas Petersen. The Baptistery is a memorial to Esther Burns. The mosaic floor tiles flow onward in the Christian journey toward the Word of God, expressed from the Pulpit, and on to the Eucharistic altar and Crucifix.
Stations of the Cross along the side walls are brass images of Christ’s Passion on square walnut plaques.
The Granite Altar contains a reliquary with a relic of St. Donatus which was donated to St. Philip’s by a Benedictine Monastery in England, in memory of Stanley Pepper, 1957.
Above the Altar is the large central Crucifix. The hand-carved three-foot tall white wood corpus, from Oberammergau, Germany, expresses both the suffering and nobility of Christ. The corpus is secured on a black wood cross from St. Louis, on which decorative golden triangles which may suggest the flames and smoke of candles and incense which symbolically carry our prayers heavenward. The triangles are repeated in the tabernacle, candle sticks and the Paschal candle.
The heavy bronze canopy over the altar represents heaven above; the 13 stainless steel stars suggest the 12 disciples and Jesus. The artist used an undulating design, also carried into the sanctuary, to contrast with the severe straight lines of the building.
The colorful seasonal banners and needlepoint kneelers were handcrafted by church members in the 1960’s.
The bronze Tabernacle was hand crafted in the Italian city of Pietrasanta, Italy, near Piza. It was originally designed to be centered at the rear of the altar. The swayback top was to create a visual base of the Crucifix directly above. The eight enamel-over–copper triangles are design elements repeated in the Crucifix, the Altar Candle Sticks and the large Paschal Candlestick. The interior of the Tabernacle is gold-chased. When the altar was moved forward for the priest to face the congregation, the Tabernacle was moved to the side table.
In back on the left side is a Columbarium installed in the 1990’s for internment of members. This is established in memory of Agnes A. and Quentin K. Ford.
In 2011, an elevator was installed in memory of Grace Pepper Garrett.
The Courtyard on the north central portion of our lot is a sacred place with trees and other vegetation planted in memory of many beloved parishioners. The brick paved patio with fountain and stone bench are a memorial to Rob Burns, a St. Philip’s son who served our country in Desert Storm. The area is carefully tended daily by Bill Burns.
HISTORICAL HIGHLIGHTS OF ST. PHILIP’S CHURCH (1947-1997)
09/21/1947 First service conducted in Masonic Temple by Bishop Conkling. Confirmation service with 64 people.
03/27/1948 First Easter Evening service. 35 people present.
05/29/1948 Ground breaking for new building at 4 p.m. Bishop Conkling presiding. 122 people present.
09/12/1948 Fr. Rob Roy Hardin becomes the first rector.
02/27/1949 Final service in Masonic Temple. 36 people present.
03/06/1949 First service in new building. Bishop Conkling presiding. 80 people present.
02/04/1950 First wedding at St. Philip’s. Mr. Thomas English & Miss Roberta Huugerford.
02/15/1950 Second wedding at St. Philip’s. Mr. Charles Blake Jr. & Miss Nell Barrowman.
06/24/1950 Third wedding at St. Philip’s. Mr. Len Goland & Miss Carol Pepper.
11/26/1950 Father Hardin’s final service.
03/04/1951 Fr. Michael Ray Becker becomes 2nd rector.
03/24/1951 Easter Evening service has 13 Baptisms.
03/02/1952 Fr. Becker’s final service.
06/01/1952 Fr. Foote becomes 3rd rector.
07/05/1953 Bishop Conkling resigns.
05/08/1954 Thirty-one trees planted.
06/10/1957 Excavation for new building begins.
12/21/1957 Final service in old building. 45 people present.
12/22/1957 Fist service in new building. 104 people present.
09/21/1958 Bishop Burrill dedicates new building with 104 in attendance.
03/29/1959 Easter Day. First time attendance surpasses the 200-attendee mark. 210 people present.
03/14/1963 With Bishop Montgomery present, four services are held. Morning Prayer and three Eucharist services for a total attendance of 526. To date best attendance recorded.
04/18/1965 Easter Day — Three services conducted setting all-time attendance figure of 586.
01/17/1968 Fr. Foote installed as Dean of Elgin Deanery.
09/26/1971 Bishop Burrill’s final visit to St. Philip’s.
10/01/1972 Dedication of belfry and bells.
07/31/1973 MP/HC service recorded in studios of radio station WJJD for later re-broadcast on August 8th & 26th.
10/03/1975 Faith Alive weekend held. 34 attendees on Friday; 46 on Saturday and 185 on Sunday.
03/09/1977 First time Third Order of St. Francis meets here.
06/01/1985 Farewell Eucharist for Fr. Foote. Bishop Montgomery celebrates, 312 people in attendance.
09/02/1986 Fr. Phillips celebrates first service as the 4th rector of St. Philip’s.
05/01/1987 Fr. Mike Phillips installed as rector.
02/26/1995 Fr. Philips’ final service.
03/01/1995 Fr. Krogman begins as interim rector.
07/04/1996 Fr. Janiec’s first service
09/03/1996 Fr. Janiec installed as 5th rector
10/01/1996 50th Year Committee holds first meeting.
09/12/1997 Parishioners celebrate their 50th Anniversary Celebration at Watercress Banquets in Palatine.